2019 Florida Association for the Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired (FAER)
Sharing the Vision Conference
September 25th - 27th, 2019
Holiday Inn Resort Lake Buena Vista
Network! Earn CEUs or CRCs! Teach and Learn!
There are so many reasons to attend.
Visit the hotel website and use the Reservation Link to book with the group code AER (works best with Google Chrome) or call 407.239.4500 today to book a room for only $94 per night with the AER room block!
Use code AER to be sure you receive the discounted rate.
Register now for the Sharing the Vision Conference, September 25th-27th, 2019 at the Holiday Inn Resort Lake Buena Vista located in Orlando!
Click here to go to event registration
Opening and Closing Speakers
Tyler Merren will be the opening speaker for the conference. Tyler is a motivational speaker involved with the Paralympic games as well as many other achievements and honors.
Honors and Awards for Tyler Merren
Here are some of my favorite awards, though there were more that could be added, these hold special places for me.
· Spirit Athlete Award-Sports Education Camp, Kalamazoo, MI 2000
· MVP-Youth National Championships: St. Augustine, FL 2002
· All American–Youth National Championships: St. Augustine, FL 2001
· All Star Team–National Championships: Colorado Springs, CO 2005
· Featured Athlete Award–Olympic Training Center: Lake Placid, NY March 2005
· MVP-National Championships, St. Augustine, FL 2007
· All Star Team–National Championships: St. Augustine, FL 2007
· Best Offensive Player Award–National Championships: Salt Lake City, UT 2012
· Key to the City–Coral Springs, FL 2017
· MVP–South Florida Mixer, Lake Worth, FL 2018
As seen above, I’ve been in a lot more tournaments than listed, but these are some of my favorites and why:
· 2nd National Championships: Colorado Springs, CO 1999 (first tournament ever)
· 1st Junior National Championships: St. Augustine, FL 1999 (First Youth National Championship gold)
· 2nd Pan-American Games: Spartanburg, SC 2001 (First International tournament)
· 2nd Junior National Championships: St. Augustine, FL 2001 (Awarded All-American Player)
· 1st Madrid Internationals: Madrid, Spain 2002(First international gold medal)
· 11th Goalball World Championships: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 2002 (First major butt kicking at a tournament)
· 1st Junior National Championships: St. Augustine, FL 2002 (Awarded MVP for the tournament)
· 3rd Paralympics: Athens, Greece 2004 (First Paralympics)
· 1st National Championships: Colorado Springs, CO 2005 (First National Championship Gold
· 2nd Pan-American Games: Sao Paulo, Brazil 2005 (Top Scorer with 32 Goals)
· 3rd Goalball World Championships: Spartansburg, South Carolina, 2006
· 1st National Championships: St. Augustine, FL 2007 (awarded All-tournament and MVP)
· 1st Lithuanian Internationals: Trakai, Lithuania 2007
· 4th Paralympic Games: Beijing, China 2008
· 4th World Championships: Sheffield, England (4th highest scorer with 34 Goals)
· 2nd National Championships: Salt Lake City, UT 2012 (Named Defensive Player of the Tournament)
· 3rd World Championships: Espoo, Finland 2014 (9th highest scorer with 34 Goals)
· 2nd Paralympic Games: Rio De Janeiro, Brazil 2016
Sample of Tyler’s Speech
“Not being able to see doesn’t stop me from seeing the world. Every day that I wake up presents an opportunity to learn, grow, and explore. When I was in my early teen years, and just learning about my vision loss and how I would eventually go completely blind, I had a good friend of mine tell me, “You just cannot be afraid to get lost.” I took that to heart.
I have gotten lost on many occasions but met some great people and seen some great places in the process. At what moment in time does a person become a champion? Is it when the medal is hung around their neck? Is it when the final buzzer sounds? I believe that it is neither; a person becomes a champion when that first decision is made. The decision to be greater than what they are, the decision to do what must be done to accomplish what they want.
The decision to not let the fear of the darkness around them freeze them in place, or the weight of the challenges of their circumstances hold them down. Every day we are surrounded by choices, thousands of choices that build into each day and tens of thousands more that build into each week, each month, and every year. Millions of choices that will define who we are. The pixels that come together to form the picture of our lives. Even when what you want seems impossible and the summit insurmountable, you have a choice, be a champion and achieve or let it break you.
Let me teach you how I have learned to be a Champion. As a father, husband, two time medalist for the United States, personal trainer, and so much more, I did not allow my blindness to stop me from achieving. I want to teach you how to do the same with the challenges that you face.” (Tyler Merren, 2019)
FOLLOWING THE OPENING SPEECH IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR VENDORS TO SPEAK ABOUT THEIR PRODUCTS AND SERVICES!
We are honored to announce that the closing keynote speaker will feature the Executive Director of AER, Janie Blome
Janie Blome worked at APH's Director of Field Services and was recently elected for the AER Executive Director position! Blome will serve for one year as the Executive Director. Blome began with APH in 2000. Prior to joining APH, she worked for 18 years as a teacher of students who are visually impaired in Arkansas. AER, the Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired, is the largest professional organization in the field of blindness. AER's mission is to support professionals who provide education and rehabilitation services to people with visual impairments. Blome said, "I am excited about this opportunity to work with the staff of AER and other professionals in our field to help our organization grow, improve, and move forward."
Attention Vendors! We Listen. Vendors will be centrally located at the 2019 conference in the Discovery Room with free coffee available inside the room for optimum foot traffic! Vendors also have an opportunity to share information about their organization following the opening speaker and to be awarded for contributing to FAER!
Vendor Applications are due by September 1, 2019. Space and advertising will be on a first come first serve basis. Reserve your Space Now!
Space Fills Up Quick!
Vendor Incentives and opportunities to be awarded for their involvement!
Thank you and looking forward to seeing you at the conference!
Jessica Alessio, M.Ed. COMS, CVRT